Are you and your kids ready for the new school year? Back to school season can be a busy and challenging time — start the year off right with these eight tips.
- Don’t skip the shots. Your pediatrician can tell you which vaccinations your kids need each year. Check if your family qualifies for low-cost or free vaccines.
- Shop the sales. Some states have sales tax holidays in August for clothes and school supplies. Take advantage of the deals and save money.
- Get smart about smart phones. Talk to your kids about cyberbullying, appropriate phone behavior, and staying safe online.
- Be on track for college. Advise your middle or high schooler to prepare for higher education through their classes, extracurricular activities, and even chores at home.
- Beat the after-school blues. Encourage your kids to get involved in extracurricular activities at school or in the community. Learn how to find quality after-school child care in your area.
- Discuss drug abuse. While painkiller use is down among teens, vaping has become popular. Talk about the harmful effects of e-cigarettes and other drugs with your children.
- Nurture nutritious eating. Your children may be entitled to free or reduced-price breakfasts and lunches at school. Find out if they’re eligible and how to apply.
- Ditch the stress. Students can worry about grades, friends, bullying, or changing schools. Help your kids respond to stress in healthy ways.
USAGov is a federal program that guides you to tips and tools in English and in Spanish from hundreds of government agencies, departments, and programs. We make it easier for you to find answers you can trust about government information and services–online, by phone, e-mail or chat, and in print.
Anllelic Lozada “Angie” is a proud P.A.N.K (professional aunt with no kids), a Personal Marketing Strategist in NYC and Los Tweens & Teens “Tia-in-Charge,” based in New York City. Anllelic wants you to best your best life so you can positively influence your tween and teen. Subscribe to her weekly e-newsletter in Spanish in marketingparatucarrera.com/Vendete, where she shares personal marketing strategies to help you “Comunicar lo genial que eres.”