It’s become tradition for our Los Tweens & Teens team to create a summer movie-watching list. We strive to combine a mix of family friendly classics and modern movies too. This year we’ve asked our community to share thoughts on their favorite ‘oldies but goodies’ and we added some that were suggested last year in the comments section following our 2014 list.
You may also want to read: “Oldie but Goodie” Classic Movies to Watch with your Tween
A new aspect of our list is that it is broken down by age categories. I’m a firm believer that movies should be age-appropriate and also appropriate for your home and your values. I’ve never rushed for my girls to watch anything that they weren’t ready for or I wasn’t ready to discuss.
You may also want to read: Los Tweens & Teens Movie Reviews.
So here we go with the Summer Movie Marathon – Family Style!
2015 Top 10 Summer Movie Watching List for Tweens (7-12)
For Younger Tweens:
- Over the Hedge
- Madagascar (our team loves all of them including the Penguins Movie!)
- Herbie the Love Bug
- Fantasia (the Original – it’s a great way to talk about classical music)
- The Parent Trap (1998) – the kids voted more for this version instead of 1961 version)
For Older Tweens:
- Superman (the original with Christopher Reeve)
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Spiderman (all the versions were voted on by kids!)
- The Goonies
- A Cinderella Story (2004)
- Selma (for 11 or 12 years old and up it’s a good opportunity to discuss history and civil rights for middle-school age kids)
- Titanic (remember the ‘car’ scene and decide if your teen is ready)
- The Outsiders
- Legally Blonde
- Kindergarten Cop
- Lord of the Rings Triology
- Super manly: Original Godzilla or Die Hard (have them watch for the 80s cell phones!)
- Super girlie: Never Been Kissed and Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
Anllelic Lozada “Angie” is a proud P.A.N.K (professional aunt with no kids), a Personal Marketing Strategist in NYC and Los Tweens & Teens “Tia-in-Charge,” based in New York City. Anllelic wants you to best your best life so you can positively influence your tween and teen. Subscribe to her weekly e-newsletter in Spanish in marketingparatucarrera.com/Vendete, where she shares personal marketing strategies to help you “Comunicar lo genial que eres.”