I am a member of the Everywhere Society and Everywhere has provided me with compensation for this post. However, as always all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.
February is a great time to visit local museums and exhibits with their ongoing events and special activities celebrating Black History Month. At one of my favorite stores Macy’s – you’ll find unique events around the country presenting a creative perspective for Black History Month. It’s all fashion related of course: Soul Era of Fashon and there is always nostalgia for the styles!
I appreciate fashion history since most of today’s styles have their inspiration from previous eras… like those skinny jeans we are all wearing! These events are a wonderful opportunity to attend as a family and discuss the origins of fashion styles with older kids so they can appreciate why or how their older relatives are wearing certain looks in old photos. Helping kids connect history in creative ways always is important.
Details regarding Soul Era of Fashion Events around the country:
- Macy’s celebrates Black History Month “The Soul Era” with celeb stylists June Ambrose and costume designer, Johnetta Boone! They are icons of the fashion world. They’ve worked with superstars such as Beyoncé, Jay-Z, Will Smith, and Zoe Saldana, and have been featured in Vogue Germany, New York Magazine, VH1 and HBO! And they both will be at a Macy’s near you!
- No purchase necessary to be a part of the conversation
- Don’t miss this entertaining look back at the fashion, accessories and attitude that rocked the runways of the ’60s and ’70s and had an undeniable effect on the way we look and dress today. You might want to reflect on how the Soul era influenced you or your parents.
- Following the panel, there will be a reception for the attendees and lots of fashion.
- Visit macys.com/celebrate through February 28th to enter for the chance to win a trip for 2 to New York City, the style capital of the world, a Macy’s shopping spree and a makeover by celebrity stylist, June Ambrose!
In MIAMI the Soul Era of Fashion event takes place on Saturday February 7th at 2 PM at the Aventura store location: 19535 Biscayne Blvd. Call 305-682-3300 for more details. Since our readers are all over the country be sure and check out the Macy’s website for locations near you: http://bit.ly/MacysBHM2015
How are you observing Black History Month, any special plans with the familia?
As a mother of twin tweens in 2011 and an active Girl Scout Troop leader, Cristy realized there was a need to develop bilingual digital content and foster a community facing the challenges of raising kids after first grade. That year she founded and remains co-Publisher of Los Tweens & Teens, to support multicultural parents and mentors with content related to raising Gen Z- tweens & teens ages 7-18. Through the Los Tweens & Teens LIVE events such as Teens & Me – the growing team aims to provide our community with essential resources from chats with therapists to battle anxiety and bullying, to understanding social media and technology.
A New Jersey native of Cuban decent, Cristy is a board member of Amigos For Kids – a non-profit organization dedicated to preventing child abuse in the South Florida community. She is a teenage cancer survivor and speaks nationally at conferences and volunteers with cancer-awareness organizations such as St. Jude Children’s Hospital and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of South Florida.