May 14 is observed as the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) National Animal Disaster Preparedness Day.
In time for this awareness, Hill’s Pet Nutrition is joining with its network of animal shelter partners to encourage pet parents to fully consider their pets in emergency planning.
The Hill’s Food, Shelter & Love Disaster Relief Network, with over 100 shelters nationwide providing a way to expedite urgent pet nutrition orders, created the following list to ensure your pet is safe in case of an emergency:
- Ensure your pet can be identified by either a microchip or collar ID tag and that contact information is up-to-date.
- Prepare an “Emergency Grab & Go Kit” of pet supplies that is readily accessible in an emergency. Your Pet Go-Kit should include the following: first aid supplies and guide book; a 3-day supply of pet food in a waterproof container and bottled water; a safety harness and leash; waste clean-up supplies; medications and medical records; a contact list of veterinarian and pet care organizations; information on your pet’s feeding routine and any behavioral issues; comfort toys; and a blanket.
- Display a pet rescue decal on your front door or window to let first responders know there is a pet in the house. Include your veterinarian’s contact information.
- Learn where your pet likes to hide in your house when they are frightened. Finding them quickly will help you evacuate faster.
- Identify a location to take your pet if you need to leave your immediate area. Keep in mind that disaster shelters for people may not be open to pets. Scout hotels and motels with pet-friendly policies and ask relatives or friends if they could house you and your pet.
- Carry a picture of your pet in the event of separation.
- If you need to evacuate, consider taking a pet carrier or crate if possible for transport and safe-keeping
Anllelic Lozada “Angie” is a proud P.A.N.K (professional aunt with no kids), a Personal Marketing Strategist in NYC and Los Tweens & Teens “Tia-in-Charge,” based in New York City. Anllelic wants you to best your best life so you can positively influence your tween and teen. Subscribe to her weekly e-newsletter in Spanish in marketingparatucarrera.com/Vendete, where she shares personal marketing strategies to help you “Comunicar lo genial que eres.”